Adding NCLOR Resources from the course navigation menu
Currently, there are two ways to access the NCLOR from Canvas. You can add resources from the course navigation menu or from within a Canvas module.
To access the NCLOR from the course navigation menu you should:
- First access any course where you are enrolled as a teacher. IMPORTANT NOTE: The course will need at least one Module created in order to place the NCLOR resource.
- Click on the "Select resources from NCLOR" link from the course navigation menu. (If you don't see the "Select resources from the NCLOR" link and you are enrolled as a teacher, contact your local Canvas admin for help.)
- Next, you should see the NCLOR integration screen.
- Next, search for a resource you wish to add to your course. For this example, we are going to search for a resource about the "Battle of New Orleans" (For more information on using the search screen, see the NCLOR Integration Screen section.)
- On the right, click the Module name where you want the added resource to be placed.
- Click the title of the resource to view the resource's summary page.
- On the resource summary page, you may select the either the complete summary page, just the attachment link, or the "Full screen" viewer to share with students. Most of the time you will want to share only the attachment with students.
Note: You can preview multiple attachments at once by selecting Full Screen.
- When you click on the add button, you will notice the resource will move to module highlighted on the right. A number will appear next to the Module name to indicate a pending addition.
- Click the Save button to add the resource to the module. A notice will be displayed indicating the resource was added.
- Navigate to the selected module to view the resource.
- Next, click on the gear icon next to the newly added resource and select "Edit" from the drop-down list.
- On the Edit Item Details dialog box, click the "Load in a new tab" option. (This step is not always needed but it helps with browser security issues.)
You may also change the title of the resource if you wish. Do NOT alter the URL listed or the resource will not function correctly.
- Click the update button and then click the Resource title to test the link.
- Next, click on the link to load the resource to a new window.
- Lastly, the resource is displayed in a new browser window.
For more information on using the integration, click the NCLOR Integration screen section in this tutorial.